As the title suggests you should go to therapy before something is actually wrong! I can’t tell you how many people I talk to that say “I want to go to therapy but I don’t know if I have anything to talk about”. Yes, you do!
You wouldn’t be considering therapy if you didn’t want to get something off your chest. Maybe you just need an impartial listening ear to work through a decision you have been struggling with. If you don’t know exactly what that is, your therapist will work with you to figure it out. Therapists are great at it, and we love doing it. However, do you want to know what we don’t love doing? Pulling you out of crisis and worrying for your welfare and safety every week because you let your problems go on too long before seeking help.
I think a big misconception about therapy is you should work through deep-rooted issues but the truth is it doesn’t have to be that deep. We should normalize short-term therapy that lasts for 3-6 months. Almost like how Netflix is starting to normalize the mini-series. Sometimes you just need a tune-up, you need somebody to help you make it through a rough patch in your life. Therapy can last a few weeks to a few months just to get you back on the right path.
So I wanted to make a list of a few things that you can talk about in therapy if you don’t feel like you have any “real problems”
- Setting and enforcing boundaries with the people you love
- How to achieve a realistic work-life balance
- Healing past trauma & shame
- Coping with financial anxiety
- Processing grudges against your parents
- Being okay with being single
- Increasing self-worth
- Preparing emotionally for a committed relationship
- Developing healthy coping skills for unhealthy behaviors
- Improving your communication skills
- Gaining confidence to ask for a raise at work,
- Working through a past breakup even if it’s not recent
- Working through the death of a loved one
- Literally, anything that keeps you awake at night
- Having a better relationship with yourself
- How to be more thoughtful
- Tools to become a better listener
- How to be abetter leader and boss
- Increase your confidence
- Gain clarity about your life path
- Learn how to process negative emotions
- How to be less indecisive
- And so much more!
Moral of the story therapists will work with you no matter where you are in life. Get a therapist! if you need help locating a therapist check out my article How to Find the Right Therapist for you.